Applications for the 2020 Yes And Laughter Lab convenings are due Friday, February 28 at 11:59PM EST. Click on the application link below to apply. If you have questions about applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes And Laughter Lab, a new initiative seeking to help build and support collaborations between comedy people and social justice people, invites you to apply to pitch your project at one of our two convenings in NYC and LA in 2020. The Laughter Lab is building a pipeline for the best comedy projects that address and discuss pressing social issues.
Yes And Laughter Lab will select ten original comedy projects from our pool of applicants that merge quality comedy with social impact. Our winners will have the opportunity to present their original projects either in NYC (week of June 22, 2020) or LA (week of September 14, 2020) to a room of potential allies and partners -- such as grantmakers and investors, leading NGO’s/nonprofits, broadcasters, traditional and digital media platforms, and other select industry players -- who are particularly interested in supporting the development of projects like yours. The goal is to create a coalition around each comedy project to accelerate its impact and influence.
Before the winners are chosen, the Laughter Lab will provide an in-depth, hands-on training for up to 20 finalists from April 4-5th in the greater New York City area (location TBD), to provide them with the knowledge and skills they need to take their social change comedy projects from concepts to reality. NOTE: inability to attend the training will not impact eligibility to be selected as a winner.
Your project may be in any stage of development (a concept on paper, a fully written screenplay, a stage show you’d like to transfer to screen) and can draw from a wide range of comedy styles (satire, parody, sketch, stand-up, song) and platforms (web video, live performance, film and streaming, television, print).
Yes And Laughter Lab is inspired by comedy projects like Gentefied, Netflix’s new Latinx bilingual dramedy; The Skinny, Jessie Kahnweiler’s web series about bulimia; and Halal in the Family, a sitcom parody starring Aasif Mandvi and Sakina Jaffrey. It might have given an early boost to essential stand-up sets like 'Hard Knock Wife' (women's rights), 'Career Suicide' (addressing mental health), and 'Nanette' (LGBTQ rights). It has given legs to 2019 Laughter Lab winners like Murf Meyer is Self-Medicated; Murf’s stand-up special about addiction and mental illness; and Going Native, Joey Clift’s digital series designed to shine a satirical light on microaggressions toward Native Americans. Short films, podcasts, even street theater are eligible for support through Yes And Laughter Lab.
The Laughter Lab is a project of The Center for Media & Social Impact based at American University’s School of Communications and Moore+Associates, in partnership with Above Average, Artists First, Caring Across Generations, Color Creative, Comedy Central, Define American, GloNation, Haven Entertainment, National Lampoon, Powderkeg Media, TBS, Topple Productions, truTV, and Wise Entertainment.
To apply, please submit your application no later than Friday, February 28th, 2020.
We will be hosting a webinar on February 13th from 12:00-1:00pm EST, where we'll explain more about the Laughter Lab and answer questions from applicants. Click here to RSVP to the webinar.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. See Official Rules at www.yesandlaughterlab.com/apply for specific entry periods, complete entry details, judging criteria, and prize descriptions. Void where prohibited.
- We will be hosting a webinar on February 13th from 12:00-1:00pm EST, where we'll explain more about the Laughter Lab and answer questions from applicants. Click here to RSVP to the webinar.
- Each applicant (name on application) may submit no more than one project to the Yes And Laughter Lab 2020
- Applicants can be individuals or teams of two. Additional team members are invited to attend and participate in the Lab if selected to pitch, but will not receive a Travel Stipend.
- Laughter Lab does not assume any rights to any material, content, or ideas submitted, selected, or pitched. You do not give up any rights to your work by participating in the pitch.
- If you are selected to pitch at Yes And Laughter Lab, you will be compensated with a $2,000 Creative Stipend (per team), as well as a Travel Stipend for travel expenses to attend the Event pursuant to the following terms: $1,000 per person if traveling more than 250 miles; $250 per person if traveling less than 250 miles and not within the metro area. NOTE: No Travel Stipends are available if you live within the metro area of the Lab you attend. Travel Stipend only applies to up to two people per team.
- Up to 20 finalists will be provided an all expenses paid, in-depth, hands-on training from April 4-5th in the greater New York City area (location TBD). NOTE: inability to attend the training will not impact eligibility to be selected as a winner.
- You must be able to attend one of the two Labs to be selected as a pitch winner. The Labs will take place in NYC the week of June 22, 2020 and LA the week of September 14, 2020.
In order to apply to pitch your original comedy idea at the Yes And Laughter Lab, please submit your application by 11:59pm EST Friday, February 28th. Selected participants will be notified no later than Thursday, April 10th.